We are now at the peak of fall colors here in the San Juanmountains. If you’ve never been here at this time it’s a special time – veryspecial. This is my personal favorite time of year as it is for many locals.The peak of the autumn colors is typically October 1 each year.We’re running about a week later than usual this year. During the past weekwe’ve received snow on the peaks above 12,000 feet. This visual of white snow,green spruce/fir forests and yellow aspens is a dramatic combination. There aremany areas to view the dramatic scenery. Here’s a short list of my favoritespots.
- Ilium valley on RT145 between Ophir turn off andTrout Lake looking north
- Trout Lake area
- Tomboy Road to the town of Tomboy
- The Dunton Hot Springs area
- Last Dollar Road from Telluride Airport toDallas Divide (RT 62)
- Wilson Peak area. Drive up Silver Pick Road
- US 550 between Ouray and Silverton
I have posted three photographs taken in the last week. Pic1 is the Telluride Valley Floor. The second pic is Priest Lake Road. Numberthree is Ilium Valley looking north. The fourth pic is Trout Lake in its autumnglory!
I hope you enjoy the pictures I have posted. Call me 970-708-9562. I will gladly share tipsregarding where to go to see fall colorsand the best spots for photography.